The free English dictionary application explains the meaning of English words!
Longman Dictionary English is a complete vocabulary and grammar resource that will enhance your learning of English.
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English is the key to vocabulary building! Now with the full contents online, plus online Thesaurus and Vocabulary Checker.
Clear and comprehensive
– 109,000 words, meanings and phrases, including words from the Academic Word List.
– 59,000 example sentences, showing thousands of academic words and collocations.
– Clear definitions written using the Longman American Defining .
– Vocabulary of just 2,000 common words.
– Words for content areas such as Science and Social Studies.
The key to vocabulary building
– Collocation boxes show combination of words that are often used together, such as strong interest, highly successful, and take a test.
– Integrated Thesaurus explains thousands of synonyms and antonyms.
-Learner’s Handbook on Writing, Collocations and Grammar.
– Workbook exercises for self-study and classroom use
Entire contents online
– Pronunciation of all the words and example sentences, and pronunciation practice.
– Longman Vocabulary Checker: find out which type of vocabulary is used in the text you are reading and which words you should learn.
– Thesaurus: choose the right word and build your vocabulary.
– Topic Vocabulary: find all the words you need to write about common topics such as Describing Places, Technology, Sports and Relationships.
– Academic Study Center with interactive exercises for vocabulary, reading and writing, and exam practice for TOEFL.
The Longman Dictionary English
Now with integrated Grammar, Thesaurus, and Collocations Dictionary.
Improve your English with the full content of the dictionary at your fingertips:
● 165,000 corpus-based examples of natural English show words in context and how English is really used.
● 230,000 words, phrases, and meanings – more than any other learner’s dictionary.
Easy to use – easy to understand
● Definitions written using a vocabulary of just 2,000 words – the King Defining Vocabulary, ensuring all definitions are clear and easy to understand.
Expand your vocabulary
● Frequency information on the most common words – the new King Communication 9000 – helps you learn them first.
● Words from the Academic Word List highlighted to help you improve your essays and presentations.
Write and speak fluently
● An integrated Collocations Dictionary with more than 65,000 collocations: learn word combinations to use the correct words together, such as ‘take a test’ (not ‘make a test’), ‘heavy rain’ (not ‘strong rain’), and ‘highly successful’.
● The integrated Thesaurus with more than 18,000 synonyms, antonyms, and related words helps you improve your writing by using more precise and high level words: stop saying ‘nice’, instead, say ‘lovely, delightful, enjoyable, wonderful, brilliant’.
● Register Notes on the differences between spoken and written English help you express yourself precisely.
Improve your grammar
All this makes the Longman Dictionary English the largest resource of English available on any mobile platform.
– Full content of the print dictionary
– PLUS additional collocations, synonyms, and word origins
– Guide on how to use the dictionary
– Search using wildcards and suggested words
– Predictive text in search helps you with spelling as you look for words
– Search for idioms and phrasal verbs
– Search history to help you find recently searched for words
– Support for search from within other compatible apps on your device
– Bookmark your favorite words
– My vocabulary